Convenient, credible and cost-effective medical waste services in Portland.
* Enjoy up to 3 months free of Regulated Medical Waste Services
We offer biohazardous and medical waste disposal services throughout Portland, including:
Lewiston, Westbrook, Falmouth, South Portland & Bangor.
We provide you the peace of mind you need with our complete solution of medical waste disposal for your practice, facility, or business. We service thousands of customers throughout Maine and are in compliance with all State and Federal waste management regulations.
With over 25 years of experience, Stericycle provides essential services that help protect communities from harmful wastes, promotes access to healthcare services, and leads to greater consumer safety and satisfaction.
Our team of experts work tirelessly to provide you with safe, compliant and sustainable solutions.
We help you manage OSHA, HIPAA and Coding Compliance confidently and conveniently by keeping you one step ahead of regulatory demands.
Find out today how we can help you protect your business
We care about your business needs and ensure that we are in compliance with applicable Federal and State of Maine regulations. Medical waste disposal regulations are managed by the Department of Environmental Protection. Refer to the Biomedical Waste guidance document, Maine regulations of Title 38 here, and further details here.
Complete details on state requirements can be found by contacting the Maine Department of Environmental Protection.
Medical facilities generating biomedical waste are required to register with the DEP. Facilities will receive a non-transferrable, generator (shipper) registration number.
Registration fees are shown below:
Initial registration fee of $50 per facility
An annual assessment fee is charged based on the average amount of Biomedical Waste the facility produces each month
Annual fees are determined by the amount of RMW generated:
Generators of LESS than 50 pounds of regulated medical waste per month are classified as Small Quantity Generators. Registration, rules, and regulations still need to be followed.
A written Biomedical Waste Management Plan (BWMP) is required for your facility and must include the following:
Description of waste, type, and volume
Handling procedures (location of storage areas, etc.)
Personnel training procedures
Spill containment and clean up procedures
Name, address, and telephone number of person(s) responsible for biomedical waste at facility
Certification is granted upon registering that the BWMP has been created with the Maine DEP
The plan must be made available for an inspection by Maine DEP. Your facility may be exempt if less than 50 pounds of waste per month is generated, but you must still file your registration and follow all other required rules and regulations.
RMW may be sent to a treatment facility via USPS
Kept in a clean, designated, and segregated area
Limited access to prevent unauthorized entry
Integrity of container preserved
Not conducive to putrefaction
No trash chutes or trash compactors
Pathological waste, cultures, and animal carcasses refrigerated at 45F or below in a dedicated refrigerator
Clearly identified as Regulated Medical Waste with Biohazard signs on doors, refrigerators, bins, and other containers
The information provided herein is an overview that contains selected highlights of the regulations. Be sure to refer to further information available at the website of your state’s regulatory authority for full details and requirements.
1) Founded in 1989.
2) Based on 2016 data.
3) Based on 2016 data, this includes RCRA and non-RCRA pharmaceutical waste.
4) Based on missed stops report for medical waste YTD through August 2017.
5) Based on June 2016 Commercial General Liability policy with a limit of $1M each occurrence.
* Valid for new service contracts only. Offer includes up to 3 Months FREE medical waste service and/or Steri•SafeSM Compliance Solutions. The maximum value of the 3 Month offer is limited to $3,000 and only applies with a 60 month term of agreement. The maximum value of the 2 Month offer is limited to $2,000 and only applies with a 48 month term of agreement. The maximum value of the 1 Month offer is limited to $1,000 and only applies with a 36 month term of agreement. Requires signed service agreement by 03/31/18 and activation of medical waste service and/or Steri•SafeSM Compliance Solutions account. Offer expires 03/31/18 and is valid for one-time use only. This special offer is nontransferable, cannot be applied across multiple locations, groups or national accounts. Offer cannot be combined with any other discount or special offer. Stericycle reserves the right to charge back to the customer’s account the dollar value of the offer if the medical waste service account is not active for at least 12 months.
For a free quote call 888-750-6450 or complete the form
Interested in Our Solutions? We Can Help
Sign up to receive Stericycle’s latest news, tips and offers to help your business remain compliant
Which solution interests you?