When you choose Stericycle, you’re selecting a partner with the resources to stand by your healthcare practice when things are easy and when they’re hard. Our services are designed to offer you convenience and compliance, so you can get back to keeping your facility running smoothly
We service facilities of all sizes and are in compliance with all State and Federal waste management regulations.
With over 30 years of experience, Stericycle provides essential services that help protect communities from harmful wastes, promote access to healthcare services, and lead to greater consumer safety and satisfaction.
We care about your business needs and ensure that we are in compliance with applicable Federal and State of Illinois regulations. Medical waste disposal regulations are managed by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. The Potentially Infectious Medical Waste (PIMW) regulations can be found in Title 35, Subtitle M, of the Illinois Administrative Code and may be accessed here.
Generators must create and keep on file a Waste Management Plan. The plan should describe the:
• Segregation and disposal of recyclable wastes (paper products, glass, batteries, metals) in accordance with regulations
• Segregation and disposal of non-recyclable wastes (polyvinyl chloride plastics, pharmaceutical waste, mercury-containing waste) in accordance with regulations
Your facility’s storage of potentially infectious medical waste must comply with the following regulations:
• Lock outdoor storage areas
• Limit access to authorized employees
• Maintain in non-putrescent state
• Maintain the integrity of packaging by not compacting containers or subjecting them to stress
• Use refrigeration when necessary
• Protect from animals, vermin, water, rain, and wind
For complete details on storage, transfer, labelling, and reporting requirements, please refer to the state’s information provided by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency here.