At Stericycle we employ more than 18,000 full-time and part-time employees in 400 locations. Together, we create solutions that protect people and brands, promote health, safeguard the environment and reduce risk. Our services make a significant and positive impact on this world, and we are committed to furthering that impact through our work internally, in the communities served and in the healthcare marketplace. It is our collective purpose.
Earth Day 2016
The healthcare market we serve will continue to grow and change exponentially every year. Our employees help hospitals and healthcare facilities and the patients they serve prepare for this future, building sustainable services and solutions for managing healthcare waste streams. On this Earth Day, we want to thank our employees, customers and strategic partners for helping bring our vision for a more sustainable future to life. As a partner to our customers in 2015
- Safely treated approximately 1 billion pounds of medical waste
- Recycled at least 3.8 million pounds of corrugated cardboard, saving nearly 17,100 cubic feet of waste from going to landfill.
- Reduced 13.3 million gallons of water and 101,000 gallons of oil consumption in the production of new cardboard boxes.
- Diverted more than 20 million disposable sharps containers from landfills through our sharps management programs utilizing reusable containers
- Recycled over 400,000 pounds of sharps waste into new plastic products, such as pain trays and plastic pots
- Responsibly and in a compliant manner disposed of 12 million pounds of non-hazardous pharmaceutical waste and 200,000 pounds of hazardous pharmaceutical waste.
- Realized a 2.6 million mile reduction from fleet improvement initiatives, an annual trend since 2012. That is the equivalent of avoiding the carbon-dioxide emissions of more than 8 million cars every year.
- Proudly supported employees who donated their time to build homes, clean roads, package food, serve meals and help children with life- threatening diseases as well as many other local community and armed forces philanthropies.
We are grateful for our customers’ and employees’ commitment to make a difference. This Earth Day, we reflect on your accomplishments toward safe, compliant and sustainable healthcare practices that make the world a better place. Learn more about our sustainable solutions