Spill Containment, Solidifiers, & Mercury Disposal
Our Stericycle spill containment kits, solidifiers, eyewash stations, and mercury disposal solutions help protect you, your employees, and the people you serve.
Our Spill Containment and Mercury Disposal Programs
Stericycle offers you a variety of products that help with spill containment and other accidents:
- Biohazardous Spill Kits
- Eyewash Stations and Accessories
We also offer products that can help you safely dispose of mercury and amalgam:
- Mercury Spill Kits
- Mercury Containing Device Mailback
- Dental Amalgam Mailback
Solidifiers for Liquid Medical Waste
Bulk blood and body fluids, such as from a suction canister, if simply poured down the drain may pose a risk of employee exposure from a splash. Neither can they be tossed in with other regulated medical waste. The US Department of Transportation (DOT) prohibits the transport of potentially infectious fluids without sufficient absorbent material in the secondary packaging to solidify the contents.
Steri-Safe Solidifier is a gelling powder absorbent that quickly, completely, and safely solidifies liquid medical waste.
The material base is a super absorbent polymer (SAP) granule powder similar to those used in disposable hygiene products such as diapers.
Biohazardous Spill Containment Kits
OSHA and DOT require proper emergency response when dealing with regulated medical waste spills. It is recommended that you have spill kits available wherever you have the potential for a spill. You should maintain a stocked spill kit wherever you store your medical waste containers.
Eyewash Stations and Accessories
The need for immediate emergency eye flushing requires the installation of emergency eyewash devices. Where strong acids or caustic substances are present, eyewash stations must be accessible and take no longer than 10 seconds to reach.
Although liquid mercury evaporates slowly, significant amount of mercury vapor can build up indoors at room temperature after a spill. Protect your facility and the environment with the proper disposal and management of mercury. Stericycle also offers hazardous and universal waste disposal services.
- The amount of mercury mailback is limited to no more than 1 lb regardless of system size.
- A pound of mercury is roughly equivalent to 2 tablespoons.
- Only intact mercury containing devices can be shipped using these systems.
Mercury Spill Kits
Mercury spill kits provide a compliant method to handle mercury spills.
Mercury Mailback Programs
- Unique mailback disposal system
- Complies with OSHA and EPA requirements
- Meets hazardous material shipping requirements set by the DOT
- Specifically designed for handling mercury waste contained in intact devices
Acceptable Material for Mercury Mailback
- Mercury thermometers (unbroken only)
- Blood pressure sphygmomanometers
- Light bulbs containing mercury
- Breakers, relays and switches
- Other electrical components containing mercury