Sharps Disposal Containers
Biohazardous sharps material must be disposed and packaged in sharps containers, which in turn may either be transported or placed in another container to be transported.
Stericycle Offers You Nationally-Recognized, Trusted Brands of Sharps Containers
Our sharps container suppliers include name brands, such as Bemis/Stericycle, BD, Hospitec, and Kendall.
We also provide:
- Safe sharps disposal container pickup services
- Turnkey sharps management service for hospitals
- Compliant home mailback systems for patients
Small, Medium, and Large in-Room Sharps Containers
Our array of Bemis/Stericycle and Kendall in-room sharps containers come in a variety of styles and sizes from single-use shuttles to 3-gallon sharps boxes. Moreover, we sell several sharps disposal options that are made from recycled plastic.
Medium, Large, and Extra-Large Sharps Containers
We also offer sharps boxes and containers that are ideal for blood banks, critical care units, emergency departments, dialysis centers, hospitals, surgical centers and others that use larger needles, tubing, and instruments. These sharps disposal containers range in size from 1.5- to 19-gallon bins.
Additionally, for medical centers and large hospital systems, we offer Bio Systems reusable sharps containers through our Sharp Management Service.
Look to Us for Sharps Disposal Compliance and Recommendations
Be aware of any state or local guidelines that may affect your choice of sharps container. Also, consider the following factors when choosing your sharps disposal containers:
Apply Legally Required Labels
“Biohazard waste” warning labels must be affixed to all sharps disposal containers.
Ensure Ease of Use and Prompt Disposal
Accidental needlesticks most often occur after an injection and before proper disposal. For that reason, OSHA Standard 1910.1030(e)(2)(ii)(J) calls for prompt placement of needles and syringes in a puncture-resistant container. Systematically identify specific areas of your facility where sharps will be used.
Consider Sharps Container Design
- Durable sharps bins that don’t puncture, leak, or break on impact
- Secure closing mechanism
- Size and design to accommodate disposal of the largest sharp you use
- Guards that prevent your hands from entering the sharps bin
- Sharps opening that is visible and clear before use
- Promotes one-hand disposal
- Safe, stable mounting system
Optimize Sharps Bin Visibility
- Visible and recognizable with proper biohazard warning label
- Fill status line is visible prior to use
- If wall mounted, placed at 52”-56” for view and safe access
Allow Easy Access for Disposal and Removal
- Handles that facilitate safe use, removal, and transport
- Located away from wall switches, clear of impact zone, and obstacles
- Placed within arm’s reach and below eye level at point of use
Learn More About Evaluating Sharps Containers
For more information, the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH) has developed comprehensive guidelines as part of a needlestick injury prevention plan: “Selecting, Evaluating and Using Sharps Disposal Containers.”