Rx Waste Disposal Compliance Service for Hospitals
Our pharmaceutical drug disposal service, Rx Waste Compliance, offers a complete turnkey medicine disposal service for hospitals and other medical centers.
Our Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal Compliance Service Reduces Your Risk
As a hospital, multisite medical center, or integrated delivery network (IDN), your facility generates a substantial amount of pharmaceutical waste — some hazardous, some nonhazardous — that requires proper disposal. Generally, hospital pharmaceutical waste is composed of pharmaceuticals that have been partially dispensed, but not completely used.
The focus of our Rx Waste Compliance Service is to help you achieve and maintain Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT) and Joint Commission (TJC) compliance, while reducing the risk associated with handling dangerous compounds.
The Joint Commission (TJC) has approximately 20 standards that apply to pharmaceutical waste, so it is important to choose a company that both understands waste regulations and has healthcare experience.
Our Hospital Pharmaceutical Disposal Service Is Customized to Your Needs
Our Rx Waste Compliance Service is designed to help your hospital or medical center with all its drug disposal needs:
- Categorize your pharmaceutical waste according to how it is to be disposed, a process called "characterizing your waste"
- Separate hazardous and non-RCRA drug wastes
- Transport your pharmaceutical wastes
- Properly dispose your pharmaceutical wastes
Pharmaceutical Formulary Characterization
Stericycle conducts an initial waste characterization to determine the appropriate designation for your wastes. As the leading company in processing pharmaceutical returns and recalls, Stericycle has unique capabilities in pharmaceutical characterization of your formulary. Our proprietary database profiles more than 450,000 National Drug Code (NDC) numbers, and our waste characterization includes a review of drugs identified by:
- EPA (40 CFR §262.11 and 261.3)
- DOT (49 CFR § 173)
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- State regulations
Once the initial characterization is complete, we’ll implement a process to update your hospital’s waste characterization on an ongoing basis as new drugs are added to your formulary.
Rx Waste Compliance Staff Training and Education
Our Rx Waste Compliance experts provide extensive training throughout your hospital as required by EPA (40 CFR §265.16) and DOT (49 CFR §172.702 and §172.704) to help ensure your medical center’s compliance with the pharmaceutical waste disposal program during the implementation process.
Our customized modules target environmental services (EVS) departments, clinicians, pharmacists, and nurses including unit-to-unit training for all departments that produce pharmaceutical waste, including all shifts.
We use both classroom and unit-to-unit training during implementation of our Rx Waste Compliance Service.
Implementation of Pharmaceutical Disposal Service
We right-size the placement and setup of proper pharmaceutical waste containers wherever your pharmaceutical waste is generated.
Transport and Disposal of Your Drug Waste
Stericycle handles all transport and disposal of your hazardous and non-RCRA Rx waste generated by your facility.
Ongoing Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal Support
Upon completion of service installation, our professional service group of Healthcare Compliance Specialists provides AfterCare; ongoing support to help your facility maintain compliance with EPA/DOT regulations and TJC standards.
- Auditing of the Satellite and Central Accumulation Areas
- Review of required regulatory paperwork
- Retraining and education, as needed
- Visual inspections of containers for proper disposal and segregation practices
- Consultations with EVS, pharmacy, education, and nursing departments for program feedback
- Written summary of visit
- Assistance in improving any deficiencies found
AfterCare also provides annual training to meet federal regulations and to ensure ongoing program compliance.
Benefits to Your Hospital From Rx Waste Compliance
The far-reaching benefits to your hospital include helping you:
- Reduce your hospital’s risks associated with hazardous pharmaceuticals
- Meet The Joint Commission standards such as Leadership, Environment of Care, and Medication Management
- Keep compliant with EPA and DOT regulations and state regulations
- Discover a complete turnkey solution, so you can focus on patient outcomes
How Rx Waste Compliance Service Streamlines Your Drug Disposal Process
An important part of the Stericycle Rx Waste Compliance Service is setting up the Rx waste container system in your pharmacy and patient care areas. This set up is done on-site and includes:
- A walk-through with hospital staff to determine the location, type and number of containers needed for each department or unit
- A recommendation for the proper sets of containers for each area
- State-of-the-art disposable and reusable containers, color-coded for a user-friendly disposal process
- Instructional charts for sorting of medicines by container type
- A list of hazardous pharmaceuticals inventoried by the hospital pharmacy
- Consultation on the regulatory aspects of the program
In the program's final step, Stericycle handles all aspects of the transportation, treatment, and disposal of the hazardous and nonhazardous Rx waste you generate.
We provide replacement DOT-approved shipping containers and complete documentation and tracking of the waste.
Rely on Our Expertise to Maintain Compliance With Regulations and Standards
With the EPA, DOT, state regulations and accrediting organizations such as TJC reviewing how your hospital is managing pharmaceutical waste, it can be difficult to keep up with every regulation or standard that is in place at any given time.
That’s why hospitals across the nation are choosing Stericycle Rx Waste Compliance Service to help them manage this highly regulated waste stream.
Our market leading Rx Waste Compliance Service not only assists with getting your hospital into compliance but also partners with you to build a sustainable program to help keep you in compliance. By choosing Stericycle Rx Waste Compliance Service as your long-term partner you’ll be able to focus on your core business of caring for your patients.
Stericycle has been assisting hospitals with compliance since 1989, and we’re ready to assist you.